Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Orange Creamsicle Cake

At work we do the crossword puzzles together at lunch time. It's usually a nice break from working. Usually I will glance through the rest of the entertainment section just to see what there is. I usually glance at the comics... we have Drabble which is cool (the guy who draws the Drabble comic is in my family's ward). Every so often there are some good recipes that I take when we are done with the paper. This time I was told that I couldn't take the recipe that I wanted unless I promised to bring it into work. So the following recipe is the one that I wanted... and brought into work today. It was good... you should try it.

Orange Creamsicle Cake

3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 small orange yogurt
3/4 cup milk
3 egg whites
2 tsp grated orange zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 6-inch cake pans.

In a medium bowl sift together flour and baking powder; Set aside.

With mixer, cream together butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy; add vanilla and yogurt, beating well. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture, starting and ending with flour and beating well.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, but not too dry. Fold into batter gently along with orange zest. Divide batter into the two pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp shortening
8-oz cream cheese
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup orange juice

In a large mixing bowl, add butter, shortening, cream cheese, powdered sugar and orange juice. Mix until well blended. Adjust consistency with powdered sugar or juice.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures to show you, but it is a good spring treat. ENJOY!

No comments: