Saturday, October 2, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

So it was a little tradition that I started I think when I was in college, but I always make cinnamon rolls over conference weekend. So since it's conference weekend I decided to make cinnamon rolls. This is my favorite recipe, because it's super easy and really good.

3 1/2 cups warm water
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup oil
5 Tbsp yeast

Combine above ingredients in a large bowl and let it rest for 15 minutes. This will allow the yeast to activate and rise. 10 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp cinnamon

Mix 5 cups of flour into the yeast mixture. Add salt, eggs and remaining flour. Pour onto floured board and knead until smooth. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
Divide dough in half and roll each half out to approximately 12" x 30". Melt butter and spread evenly over each rolled dough (1/4 cup on each). Sprinkle each rolled dough with 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 2 Tbsp cinnamon. Roll up and slice into 20 rolls (I usually use dental floss to slice the rolls that way they don't get squished). Place on a large cookie sheet. Let the rolls rise for 20 minutes. Bake for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

Now for the best part... the icing.

8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp milk

Combined above ingredients. Frost rolls when warm and enjoy!

3 comments:

Sarah F. said...

Yumm! I'm going to have to try this. I also loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk. It'd like to think he wrote it for me. :) Enjoy the rest of conference. Miss you!

Jeremy said...

Those cinnamon rolls were very good, ate all three you gave me for breakfast the next day :)

Rob McConnell said...

I use this every time I want to make cinnamon rolls too. you better not ever take it down or I don't know what I'll do.