Friday, March 4, 2011

So yes I did have the day off and I feel like not only have I been able to catch up on my blog, but I was also able to finish the book that I started reading sometime last summer. (Yes, I know I'm a slow reader, always have been, but that doesn't stop me.) The book is called "The Paradox of Choice- Why More is Less". It's written by Barry Schwartz. Even though it was a slow read it was definitely an interesting read. The book is mostly about the idea that having more decisions isn't necessarily a good thing. As the book discusses, more decisions can lead to more time making decisions and ultimately depression. I think my favorite part of the book was at the end (and no I'm not ruining it for you if you want to read it). There is a cartoon of two fish in a fish bowl. The parent fish says to the other fish "You can be anything you want to be - no limits" The author goes on to explain this idea
"Living in the constrained, protective world of the fishbowl enables this young fish to experiment, to explore, to create, to write its life story without worrying about starving or being eaten. Without the fishbowl, there truly would be no limits. But the fish would have to spend all its time just struggling to stay alive. Choice within constraints, freedom within limits, is what enables the little fish to imagine a host of marvelous possibilities.
I think that it is this last idea that I connected most to. Even though this wasn't a church book in any way shape or form the idea of "choice within constraints and freedom within limits" is how I feel about living the commandments that have been giving to me by my Heavenly Father. I know that some people feel like living the commandment can be restricting on choices that I have in life, but I feel like living the commandments opens up a "host of marvelous possibilities". Anyways even though it took me so long to read, it was still a good read and I would highly recommend it. By the way this should be the last blog of the day :)

1 comment:

Dad said...

I liked that comic also, and the relationship to freedom and the commandments. I had heard about the book, but it was not on my to-read list. When I saw it in Gunlock, I decided to read the last chapter. Some good thoughts.