Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The GRAND Canyon

So if hiking on Friday wasn't enough we went up to the Grand Canyon on Saturday. It always amazes me, but Grand Canyon National Park is only a 3 hour drive. My National Parks pass had expired, so I was in need of a new one. I love having the pass, because I love having a reason to be outside.
It was Austins first time at the Grand Canyon (actually it was his first time in Arizona). My roommate Michelle has never been to the Grand Canyon either, so we dragged her along. We decided to hike down part of the Kaibab Trail. We decided to hike down the 1.5 miles (2000 feet elevation) to Ceder Ridge. We saw a ton of animals along the way. We saw two California condors, squirrels, and eagle, big horn sheep, deer, and a blue bird. I don't think that I've ever seen so many animals along the trail. The weather was also beautiful day to be outside hiking. I think that the temperature outside during the day was in the 60s. Now normally that would be cold to me (compared to Phoenix) but it was a beautiful temperature to be out hiking around in. It was kind of funny though, because almost everyone at the Grand Canyon was wearing long sleeves, coats, jackets, scarfs or gloves... except for Austin. He only had his shorts and tee shirt. Crazy!
After hiking back out of the canyon which is harder than the hiking in we drove down to the Desert View overlook and watch tower to watch the sunset. Unfortunately we got to the tower just a few minutes after they closed it to people. So we got to enjoy the outside of the tower and the view, but we didn't get to go inside.
I love dramatic lighting... it always seems to accentuate the colors. Since the Grand Canyon has so many beautiful colors I love to take pictures with the strong lighting. I think I probably have tons of pictures of the Grand Canyon, cause I take so many every time I go. So the weekend was fun. I loved being outside hiking around. My legs were a little shore form all the hiking around, but it was definitely worth it. So for anyone else interested in coming to the Arizona to see the Grand Canyon just let me know... I'm always up for taking a trip up there.

So if you have any more interest in seeing more pictures click here... keep in mind that Austin took some of the pictures as well.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Shelly you are so adventurous! I love it!! You took some great pictures!