Thursday, June 30, 2011

Nauvoo

Since we were able to accomplish so much during our day in Chicago, Camille and I decided to make the 4 hour drive (from West Dundee to Nauvoo). I haven't been to Nauvoo since I was a little girl. Unfortunately for us it happened to rain most of the day we were there and no three year old wants to be shut up inside all day. We still enjoyed our time there. I think one of my favorite parts was seeing the Nauvoo Temple. It truly is a beautiful beacon on a hill. I also love all the little red brick buildings that make up Nauvoo. We visited some of the homes in Nauvoo. Our first stop was to the Scovil Bakery. Honestly I think was amazes me the most is the size of the homes and how many people lived in them. Our next stop was to the Nauvoo Printing Office and Nauvoo Post Office. We were shown and taught about how the newspapers would be printed and how the post office would receive and send letters. Next we wondered across the street to the Jonathon Browning Home & Gun Shop. At each of the homes that we stopped at there were senior missionaries there to give history and background about the homes. While Camille took a break with the kids I wondered into the Brigham Young Home. Compared to some of the other homes in town it was relatively large. Yet it still amazed me the number of people that would fit in what today would be a small home. After that we decided that the last two places that we would probably be able to visit in Nauvoo were the Blacksmith shop and the Brickyard. We even got a praire diamond from the Blacksmith and a little Nauvoo brick from the Brickyard. I think that the Blacksmith and the Brickyard are the only areas that I actually remember from last time I was in Nauvoo. Although from what I understand they have changed it a ton since I was there. It is a beautiful little city and was fun to learn a little more about church history. On our way back home we stopped at Carthage Jail. We made it just in time to go through the last tour of the night. The tour through Carthage Jail is a pretty spiritual tour. They go over the last days of the Prophet Joseph Smith's life. He truly was a great prophet and gave his life for that which he knew to be true. I so thankful that he was willing to give his all for the gospel of Jesus Christ so that I could have it in my life.

No comments: