Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sanibel Island

Thank goodness for Saturdays. After working long hours during the week its nice to get the opportunity to get out and see some of Florida while I'm here. This Saturday I decided to head up the cost to Sanibel Island. It's up north of where I'm staying. One of the reasons that I decided to head up to Sanibel is that there is a lighthouse out at the one end. I originally thought that it would be a larger lighthouse then the one that was there. The lighthouse was actually decorated for Christmas.
Another reason that I wanted to head out to Sanibel was that it's beaches are not only know for their beautiful white sands, but for all the shells that create this sand. It's hard to tell from the picture but there are large sections of the beach that are entirely covered with shells. I spent some time digging around to find some nice ones. It' amazes me how many beautiful shells there are. I would find one that I like... then look around and find one that was even more beautiful. I think that I ended up bringing a handful home with me. It's amazing, because I know they definitely won't be missed off the beach there are so many. I stuck around the beach until sunset. There is something so relaxing to me about the beach. Hearing the waves crash, feeling the sand on my toes, and feeling the warmth of the sun. The weather right now is actually really beautiful... I almost forget that its December! It was so nice to be outside... it didn't really even cool off until when the sun was going down. Well if I'm going to be working so hard during the week, at least I can get outside and see things around me on the weekends. It kind of makes all the hard work worth it.

2 comments:

Tootie said...

I ran across your post from one of my Google Sanibel Alerts. It was fun reading about your first visit here to Sanibel. After living here 3 years, I still feel the same way as you describe, when I walk out onto the beach. There is just nothing like it. I have a love for the shells and find myself in that 'Sanibel Stoop' no matter how hard I try to keep my eyes looking straight ahead and just walk. :-) I hope you get to do lots of looking around when you are not working.

Unknown said...

Like Tootie,I came across your blog,viagoogle alerts.Shelling is addicting.Be careful-the shells can take over your life!