Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kathmandu and Saying Goodbye

So after another day of painting the school in Turlung and finishing up construction in Duradanda it was time to say goodbye to our friends in Duradanda. It was kind of a sad day, we had gotten so comfortable with the people in the village and they probably got really comfortable with us. Of course we couldn't leave without our prayer scarfs and tikkas. There were so many things that I still could have learned had I been able to stay. We made our way back down the roads with no bus problems this time. We stayed the night in the Riverside Spring Resort and were off in the morning back to Kathmandu. We got to back to Kathmandu to a huge festival going on in the streets of Kathmandu for Devali. The crowds were so bad that we had to walk down the street with our luggage to our hotel. It was a little crazy cause the streets were so crowded, but we all made it. After getting settled into the hotel we all how a few hours to spend in Kathmandu. We found a really work of art in the middle of the road. The piece of art is made of mostly rice and seeds. It's pretty amazing what can be done with a little bit of patience. The last thing that we did with the group was get together for a traditional Nepali meal. We sat on cushions on the floor and watched traditional dances periodically through the meal. It was a fun to have one last night with the group all together. I have met some amazing people on the trip and I loved all the SHe and Choice staff. They are great people who showed me that with a little bit of work we change make a difference in the world. I'm so glad for their examples. Actually that being said I'm so glad for the wonderful experience that the trip to Nepal has been in my life. Not only did I have the opportunity to experience a new place (Nepal), new people (the Nepali and the group with SHe), but my heart was opened to loving and serving people who only loved and served me back. It was a fabulous adventure that I will not be forgetting any time soon.

No comments: