Thursday, December 30, 2010

Our Search For Happiness

Even though this was the book that we were reading for book club in November I just finished it a couple weeks before Christmas. The book is called "Our Search for Happiness" and it is written by Elder M. Russell Ballard. The book was written as it states as "an invitation to understand The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". I really enjoyed the book. Elder Ballard goes through all the basic beliefs of the church and explains them in very simple terms.

There were a couple things that I wanted to share from it, that meant something to me. One of the later chapters is called Fruits of Living the Gospel. Elder Ballard talks about finding peace in a troubled world.
"What comfort and security come from knowing that we have a purposed for being!...How reassuring to realize there is a source of power much greater than our own, which can be accessed through personal faith and prayer and through the righteous exercise of God's priesthood authority! And how encouraging to know that there is a source of strength that can help us cope with daily trails and find peace in a troubled, turbulent world!"
Elder Ballard talks in the beginning of the book about it being written so that those that aren't members of the church might have a better understanding of the Church and what it teaches. I wish at times that I was better at expressing what I believe. So I really like what he says at the end of the chapter called Fruits of the Living Gospel. Elder Ballard says this about members of the church.
"But we honestly and sincerely feel that God has given us something special, something infinitely worth sharing. And that's why I ask you to consider the fruits that come from the lives of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for as the Savior Himself said: Ye shall know them by their fruits. (Matthew 7:16)"
All in all it was a great read, for those who are members of the church or for those who aren't. Just gave me a different perspective on things that I have learned.

No comments: